CONvergence is proud to host this premiere showcase featuring the best of independent, genre-based short films produced in the Midwestern United States and Canada!
Watch the Film Festival
2016 Midwest Sci-Fi Short Film Festival
Friday, July 1
8:30pm in Atrium 6
2 hours of this year’s selections for your Midwest-produced genre film needs! Be sure to stop buy and vote for your favorite film for the Audience Choice Awards. Sponsored by Convergence Events and IPR College of Arts.
Submit a Film
All submissions must be made via Filmfreeway and received by June 15, 2016. Click here to submit your film.
The film festival is now accepting submissions from Ontario & Manitoba Canada!
Competition: Qualified films from the midwestern USA & Canada.
Non-Competition: Qualified films from anywhere in the world.
Trailers: Qualified trailers for films from around the world.
Festival & Submission Rules
- All entries must be original works created by the Filmmaker.
- There is no entry fee for any submission. Never ever.
- Deadline to submit a film is 11:59pm CT, June 15th, 2016. No Entries will be accepted after this time.
- Filmmakers (or another key participant) of the Entry must be (or have been at one time) a legal resident of; OR a significant portion of the Entry must have been produced in one of the following U.S. states: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota or Wisconsin OR Canadian provinces: Ontario or Manitoba. You MUST include Residency qualifying information in your submission profile or cover letter.
- All entries for any category submitted must be in one or more of the following genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, Action/Adventure, or Supernatural. Fan-Films, Music Videos, Comedies, Animations, Dramas, and/or Documentaries set within or related to any of these genres will also be accepted.
- Competition and non-competition entries must be 20 minutes or less in total running time (including titles and credits).
- Trailers for longer running films or works-in-progress will be accepted for screening, but will not be eligible for competition and must be under 3 minutes in running time.
- All entries must be submitted via Film Freeway at the following link: https://filmfreeway.com/festival/MSFSFF.
- Screening Resolution: Min: 720 x 480 Max: 1920 x 1080
- Entries must meet the stated Festival and Submission Rules or they will be disqualified. It is the Filmmaker’s responsibility to make sure that all criteria are met prior to submitting the entry.
- Audience Choice Awards are determined by majority vote of the participating audience during the premiere screening at CONvergence on July 1st, 2016.
- By entering the Festival, and submitting the Entry, the Filmmaker warrants that he or she owns all rights to the Entry and the material contained therein and further grants the following non-exclusive, irrevocable licenses to the Festival, as part of CONvergence or other events conducted by the Festival in perpetuity and through-out the Universe: to screen (at Festival’s discretion) the entry, via any form or media; limited publishing (less than 2000 words) for promotional purposes of the name, likeness, voice or image of the filmmaker(s), cast, crew, biographies of the same, still images and plot synopsis of the Entry.
- Entries submitted are NOT guaranteed to be screened. Screened entries will be chosen at the discretion of the Festival Director. Entries which meet Festival Rules, but not selected for this year’s festival, will be automatically entered for consideration into subsequent year Festivals.
- Filmmaker will hold harmless and indemnify the Festival, its assigns, partners, subsidiaries and its sponsors and CONvergence Events its assigns, partners, subsidiaries and its sponsors from any liability resulting from any screening of the Entry.